[Rd] hook for when R quits

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 22:05:37 CET 2011

On 11/03/2011 3:11 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
> <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>  wrote:

> >>  Did you use onexit=TRUE?  On Windows that appears to work...
>
> Agree - here an object finalizer is more appropriate (different from
> an end-of-session hook).
>

> >  It does work: RODBC makes extensive use of it, for exactly the purpose you
> >  describe (or rather, the C_level equivalent of 'it').
>
> In help(reg.finalizer) it says:
>
>    'onexit': logical: should the finalizer be run if the object is
> still uncollected at the end of the R session?
>
> What environments, objects, search path etc are available when the
> finalizer is called this way when R exits?  Is safe to always add
> 'onexit=TRUE' (which now defaults to FALSE), or should I expect an
> "exceptional" R system that the finalizer needs to account for?

To be very conservative, I would assume that nothing in R is available
other than things that are stored in that environment.  That's probably
not true, but it would be safe.  This mechanism is for finalizing things
that R doesn't know about.

If you want to be less conservative, then you could look at the source
code:  currently R_RunExitFinalizers is the very first
part of the cleanup.  I don't know if we guarantee this though.

Duncan Murdoch