[Rd] Problem with defining new method for residuals()

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Mar 11 07:36:16 CET 2011

On 03/10/2011 08:21 AM, ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm writing a package and I would like to reuse the residuals()
> function. When I use a function which calls the redefined residuals
> (for my custom class) I get an error (see below). It looks like the
> wrong method is used. The strange this is, that when it execute the
> code manually it get no error.

Hi Thierry --

I think this is a bug in the methods package.

Your package promotes stats::residuals to an S4 generic. Normally this
should work.

However, your package Depends: on lme4, which also promotes
stats::residuals to an S4 generic. Apparently, this interferes with your
own attempt to make a generic, even though you do not import lme4 into
your name space. As a consequence of the (putative) bug, your package
sees the original stats::residuals.

A work-around seems to be to importFrom(lme4, residuals) and do NOT
import residuals from stats, so that your own method is associated with
the generic defined in lme4.

Martin

> Any suggestions?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thierry
>
> The entire source code is at
> svn://scm.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/aflp
>
> The code with the error.
>
>> normalise(dummy)
> Error in object$na.action : $ operator not defined for this S4 class
>> traceback()
> 5: naresid(object$na.action, object$residuals) at normalise.R#30 4:
> residuals.default(outliers(data)) at normalise.R#30 3:
> residuals(outliers(data)) at normalise.R#30 2:
> nrow(residuals(outliers(data))) at normalise.R#30 1:
> normalise(dummy) #This works fine
>> data <- dummy nrow(residuals(outliers(data)))
> [1] 0
>
> NAMESPACE importFrom(stats, residuals, resid, hclust, princomp)
> exportPattern(".")
>
> METHODS setMethod("residuals", signature(object = "AFLP.outlier"),
> function(object, ...){ object at Residual } )
>
> setMethod("resid", signature(object = "AFLP.outlier"),
> function(object, ...){ object at Residual } )

ir. Thierry Onkelinx