[Rd] How to disable R's crash prompt

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 17:37:31 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM,  <Wayne.Zhang at barclayscapital.com> wrote:
> Dear R devel,
>
> I have a C++ app that calls into embedded R to perform some analytic calculations.  When my app encounters a segmentation fault, R always prints the following crash prompt and asks me to enter an action:
>

> *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x8, cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
>

> The problem is my app will be run in non-interactive mode, so there is no way for me to enter the action.  Is there a way to disable the crash prompt and have R simply crash the whole app?  I have tried using "-file=/dev/null", "-slave", "-vanilla", and pretty much all other start options, to no avail.

 If someone from Barclays Capital is writing programs that are being
allowed to seg fault and they want to *ignore* the seg fault then I'm
taking all my money away from Barclays Capital and keeping it away.
Barclays Capital, the bank that likes to say "seg fault".

 Your code can't possibly seg fault - our governments are always
telling us banks are too big to fail.

 That's enough banker bashing.

Barry