[Rd] visualizing data flow and function calls

Robert M. Flight rflight79 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 15:32:14 CET 2011

Hi All,

I don't know if such a thing exists, but I am looking for a way to
better keep track of where data is going, how it is being modified,
and what functions are acting upon it when I give the data over to a
function that calls many subfunctions (as happens in my current
package I am working on), or in an R script I am using to do multiple
processing steps on data. Currently I find it difficult to keep
straight sometimes what a function has done to my data, or what output
from another function is required now as input to my current internal
function as I navigate through my software (or when I make changes six
months later, and multiple objects are coming in).

>From what I can tell, I want to generate sequence diagrams of my
program (http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/sequenceDiagram.htm).
Is there any way to generate these kinds of things automatically in R,
or to get the information easily from R? I know I could add code to
each function to spit out that it has been called with what input, but
I thought there might be a way to do it by calling the function within
some kind of wrapper function that would tell me what other functions
are being called.

I have tried searching for such a beast, but if it exists I cannot
seem to come up with the right search terms to find it.

Thanks in advance,

Robert M. Flight, Ph.D.
University of Louisville Bioinformatics Laboratory
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY

PH 502-852-1809 (HSC)
PH 502-852-0467 (Belknap)
EM robert.flight at louisville.edu
EM rflight79 at gmail.com

Williams and Holland's Law:
       If enough data is collected, anything may be proven by
statistical methods.