[Rd] Extending type list: names and inherited methods issue

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Sun Mar 6 20:07:14 CET 2011

The "names" slot is not part of the basic vector types/classes.

If you want to extend named lists, extend the class "namedList":

 > getClass("namedList")
Class "namedList" [package "methods"]

Slots:

Name:      .Data     names
Class:      list character

Extends:
Class "list", from data part
Class "vector", by class "list", distance 2

Known Subclasses: "listOfMethods"

 > setClass("myNamedList", contains = "namedList")
[1] "myNamedList"

 > mm <- new("myNamedList", list(a=1,b=2))
 > mm
An object of class  "myNamedList"