[Rd] Does R use "computed gotos" - a gcc extension of C?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Mar 5 00:18:15 CET 2011

The R manual says R will not build with gcc on 64-bit Solaris x86 with gcc

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Solaris

"Tests with gcc32 on ‘x86’ and ‘amd64’ have been less successful: ‘x86’ builds
have failed on tests using complex arithmetic33, whereas on ‘amd64’ the builds
have failed to complete in several different ways, most recently with relocation
errors for libRblas.so. "

I know what the "relocation errors" problem is. That library (and in fact two
other R libraries) all have non-PIC code in them, despite the fact the source is
compiled with the -fPIC option.

http://blogs.sun.com/rie/entry/my_relocations_don_t_fit

shows how to prove this. If one runs this command on Solaris:

$ elfdump -d libRblas.so | fgrep TEXTREL

there is some output showing that theres non-PIC code present in the R library.

R is compiled with -fPIC on Solaris, but certain things can cause non-PIC code
to be generated even with that option. One is by the use of "computed gotos"
which is a gcc extension. I'm wondering if R uses any of these.

I'd love to track down this problem, so R can build with gcc. R is used in the
Sage maths project

http://www.sagemath.org/

and R is the only component of Sage which will not build with gcc on 64-bit
Solaris x86. Many components will not build with Sun Studio, but this R issue
means we need to have two compilers, not just one.