[Rd] vignette typesetting issue

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Mar 2 00:36:47 CET 2011

On 2 March 2011 at 12:10, robin hankin wrote:
| Hi
|
| I am preparing a vignette, and I am finding that LaTeX ties (that is,
| the tilde symbol, "~", used to tell LaTeX not to make a newline
| in the output), are appearing as actual tildes.  This is not desired behaviour
| for me.  Thus the PDF includes things like this:
|

| ". . . taken directly from~Oakley (1999)....".
|
| [this typeset as "taken directly from~\cite{oakley1999}..."].
|
| I do not want the tilde to appear in the PDF file.
| I do not want to remove the tilde symbols because then latex would
| be free to make a line break between "from" and "Oakley", which
| is poor form.
|
| The issue does not arise on my Mac, and I expect that it is down
| to some latex setting or style file.
|
| Does anyone recognize this problem?
|
| Can anyone advise?

Yes. It's on Debian / Ubuntu, correct?  I have the same issue, and word is
that it should get fixed upstream at some point. It only bites when you call
via texi2dvi though, ie when Sweaving.  So for Rcpp, and directly in the
inst/doc/Makefile, we do the following test for my username -- in which case
we use pdflatex and no ugly tilde symbols creep into whitespace -- or else
use tools::texi2dvi() :

ifneq (,$(findstring edd,$(whoami)))
	pdflatex Rcpp-modules.tex
	pdflatex Rcpp-modules.tex
else
	$(RSCRIPT) -e "tools::texi2dvi( 'Rcpp-modules.tex', pdf = TRUE, clean = TRUE )"
endif

Hth, Dirk