[Rd] function call overhead

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:03:24 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Snipping down to bare minimum history before comment:
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Olaf Mersmann
> <olafm at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>> Dear Hadly, dear list,

>>>   user  system elapsed
>>>  0.539   0.001   0.541
>>>   user  system elapsed
>>>  0.013   0.000   0.012
>
>>> library("microbenchmark")
>>> res <- microbenchmark(print, base::print, times=10000)
>>> res
>>> print(res, unit="eps")
>> Unit: evaluations per second
>>                    min          lq      median          uq        max
>> print       17543859.65 15384615.38 14705882.35 14492753.62 20665.8538
>> base::print    23944.64    23064.33    22584.32    20659.88   210.5329
>>

> I think it is important to say that this slowdown is not unique to R
> and is unrelated to the fact that is R  interpreted.  The same happens
> in compiled object-oriented languages like C++ or Objective-C. There
> is an inherent cost in the runtime system to find a function or method
> that is suitable to an object.
>
> In agent-based modeling simulations, we call it the cost of "method
> lookup" because the runtime system has to check for the existence of a
> method each time it is called for a given object.   There is a
> time-saving approach where one can cache the result of the lookup and
> then call that result directly each time through the loop.
> Implementing this is pretty complicated, however, and it is
> discouraged unless you really need it.  It is especially dangerous
> because this optimization throws-away the runtime benefit of matching
> the correct method to the class of the object.  (See
> http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/artikel/Optimization/opti-3.html,
> where it shows how one can even cache C library functions to avoid
> lookup overhead. I'm told that the Obj-C 2.0 runtime will try to
> optimize this automatically, I've not tested.)
>
> The R solution is achieving that exact same kind of speed-up by saving
> the function lookup in a local variable. The R approach, however, is
> implemented much more easily than the Objective-C solution. There is
> an obvious danger: if the saved method is not appropriate to an object
> to which it applies, something unpredictable will happen.
>
> The same is true in C++.  I was fiddling around with the C++ code that
> is included with the R package Siena (awesome package, incidentally)
> last year and noticed a similar slowdown with method lookup.  In C++,
> I was surprised to find a slowdown inside a class using an instance
> variable prefixed with  "this.".  For an IVAR, "this.x" and "x" are
> the same thing, but to the runtime system, well, there's slowdown in
> finding "this" class and getting x, compared to just using  x.  To the
> programmer who is trying to be clear and careful, putting "this." on
> the front of IVAR is tidy, but it also slows down the runtime a lot.

In the case of namespace qualification (or template
metaprogramming) in C++ the qualification is resolved at
compile time, so there is no performance hit at runtime.

On the cost of this.x vs x, this probably becomes very small (or zero)
when a smart optimizer is used (one that knows that they are the same).

The performance hit results when what appears to be a field access (foo.x)
is really syntactic sugar for message dispatch (a function call), as is often
the case in agent-based modelling (and in languages that follow the Smalltalk
model, or the Actor model).

Dominick