[Rd] Class not found when search in .onLoad

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Thu Jun 23 18:44:30 CEST 2011

The workaround is to use the package's namespace, as you did.  That's
one of the reasons why pkgname is an argument to .onLoad().

Depending on what you want to do, you can either use the namespace as an
argument where= or get the class definition from the namespace and use
it in place of the class name.

A side advantage is that such checks work regardless of whether or not
the classes, etc. are exported from the package.  Also, on the remote
chance there is another class of the same name, the check works
unambiguously on your package's version.

The relevant part of your script, modified accordingly, seems to work as
desired.

John

############
# script.R
############

setClass('A', representation(data='numeric'))

setClass('B', contains='A') # the argument is contains=

check.classes <- function(where){

message("isClass('A', where = where): ", methods::isClass('A', where =
where))

message("isClass('B', where = where): ", methods::isClass('B', where =
where))

classA <- getClass('A', where = where)
classB <- getClass('B', where = where)
message("extends(classB, classA): ", methods::extends(classB, classA))
}

.onLoad <- function(libname, pkgname=NULL){
cat("\n## .onLoad ##\n")
check.classes(asNamespace(pkgname))
}

.onAttach <- function(libname, pkgname){
cat("\n## .onAttach ##\n")