[Rd] Controlling stdin and stdout in an embedded R instance

Mike Sonsini msonsini at harmonia.com
Fri Jun 17 00:47:43 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am very new to R but my question is with respect to the C API for
working with an embedded R console. I have been able to start and stop
an embedded R console from within a C program as well as use the API to
execute commands in it. I am seeking a mechanism to individually send
native R commands to an embedded console and then consume the output of
these commands. Specifically, I cannot send a set of commands to the
embedded console and then consume all of the output after the execution
completes. I have unsuccessfully attempted to assign values to the
ptr_R_ReadConsole and ptr_R_WriteConsole function pointers defined in
Rinterface.h but do not know if this is a valid approach. I am working
in Ubuntu 10.04 and thus the Windows example at the following address is
not applicable.

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Calling-R_002edll-directly

Does anyone on this list have experience or an example of communicating
with an embedded R console using native R commands and consuming the
output one command at a time in a "Unix-alike" environment?

Thank you,
Mike Sonsini