[Rd] "warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type"

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Thu Jun 9 02:17:31 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:23:29PM -0400, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 12:08 PM, oliver wrote:

> >> It is documented, of course, but actually better alternatives are
> >> described in 'Writing R Extensions'.
> >>
> >> We would urge you to study the R sources rather than copy bad habits
> >> from randomly chosen package sources.
> > [...]
> >
> > Hmhh, it was not randomly chosen, it was, what I got as a hint here on the list.
> >

> It was not provided to you to look at how it checks arguments. For basic
> usage it's better to look at the R code. The coding styles vary a lot in
> packages (and so does the quality of packages) - some of them are really bad,
> but you have to remember that most people write packages in their free time and
> are not programmers...

OK, I see.

[...]
> >> and there is no
> >> check in that code that LENGTH(filename_sexp) > 0 (or == 1).  In the
> >> R sources you will often see things like
> >>
> >>    if(!isString(sfile) || LENGTH(sfile) < 1)
> >>        error("invalid '%s' argument", "description");
> > [...]
> >
> > If it's a vector, I can just pic the first element.
>
> Yes, but only if it's not a vector of length zero - hence the necessary check.
>

> > Or does   LENGTH(sfile)  give the length of the string itself
> > (like strlen(3))?
> >

> No.
[...]

OK, I looked at this now.

LENGTH() checks the length of the vector.

Good to know this.

So the problem of a vector of length 0 can be with any arguments of type SEXP,
hence I will need to check ANY arg on it's length.

This is vital to stability under any situation.

Thanks for this valuable hint!

I will add checks for all my SEXP-args.

Ciao,
   Oliver