[Rd] Ctrl-C of functions that allocated mem

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Thu Jun 9 02:06:27 CEST 2011

Hello,

what happens, when a function (R-extension in C), that allocated memory
(strdup(), malloc()/calloc() and so on), and is used in interactive mode, then
will be stopped via Ctrl-C?

I would assume that there remains allocated memory,
which is not usable and also not accessable (hence no
way to free it).

Are there any mechanisms in R that could help in rolling
back the allocation?

Normally in an interactive session "some memory" might not be a problem,
because it will be run shortly; but I prefer clean solutions.
And also, if it's much mem, which is allocated each time, and one does many
trials and Ctr-C's, even an interactive session might eat a lot of mem.

So I would be interested in a solution to this (potential) problem.

Ciao,
   Oliver