[Rd] Bug or feature: using "ANY" as a generic field class (was: '[R] Is there a (virtual) class that all R objects inherit from?)

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Fri Jun 3 19:13:28 CEST 2011

Well, your mail is unclear as to what you expected, but there is one bug
shown by your example.

The behavior of S4 classes is sensible, at least as far as the example
shows:

 > setClass("A", representation(x="ANY"))
[1] "A"
 > setClass("B", contains="A", representation(x="character"))
[1] "B"
 > new("B", x=1:3)
Error in validObject(.Object) :
   invalid class "B" object: invalid object for slot "x" in class "B":
got class "integer", should be or extend class "character"

You couldn't expect the new() call to work, as the error message clearly
explains.  A legitimate call does work:

 > new("B", x = "abc")
An object of class "B"
Slot "x":
[1] "abc"

The reference classes should work the same way, but don't, as your
example shows.

A <- setRefClass(
+ Class="A",
+ fields=list(
+ .PRIMARYDATA="ANY"
+ ),
+ contains=c("VIRTUAL")
+ )
 > B <- setRefClass(
+ Class="B",
+ fields=list(
+ .PRIMARYDATA="character"
+ ),
+ contains=c("A")
+ )
Error in `insertFields<-`(`*tmp*`, value = "character") :
   The overriding class("character") of field ".PRIMARYDATA" is not a
subclass of the existing field definition ("ANY")

We'll fix that.  And, yes, "ANY" is intended as a universal superclass,
but is usually not mentioned explicitly.