[Rd] Front ends handling help.search() results?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jul 30 10:40:02 CEST 2011

On Friday 29 July 2011, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> Which front ends process the help.search() results to produce nice
> clickable lists, instead of the simple text display that's the default?
> I know the R.app gui on  Mac OS does; are there others?

RKWard does, too. (More precisely: It has a UI for searching help files, which
relies on help.search()).

> I'm asking because one of the decisions made when R Core met in Vienna
> was to allow vignettes to be returned as results of help.search().  All
> of those front ends will need to be able to handle this.

Will this affect the structure of the hsearch class?

Currently, our implementation for showing an item from the result list is to
simply call help(help_type="html"), appropriately. What are the implications
of vignettes for the behavior of help(), if any (with or without specification
of help_type)?

Regards
Thomas