[Rd] Best practices for writing R functions

Alireza Mahani alireza.s.mahani at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 15:26:31 CEST 2011

I am developing an R package for internal use, and eventually for public
release. My understanding is that there is no easy way to avoid copying
function arguments in R (i.e. we don't have the concept of pointers in R),
which makes me wary of freely creating chains of function calls since each
function call implies data copy overhead.

Is the above assessment fair? Are there any good write-ups on best practices
for writing efficient R libraries that take into consideration the
above-mentioned limitations, and any others that might exist?

Thank you,
Alireza