[Rd] --max-vsize

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Thu Jul 21 20:53:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

In both R 2.13 and the SVN trunk, I observe odd behaviour with the
--max-vsize command-line argument:

1. passing a largeish value (about 260M or greater) makes mem.limits()
   report NA for the vsize limit; gc() continues to report a value...

2. ...but that value (and the actual limit) is wrong by a factor of 8.

I attach a patch for issue 2, lightly tested.  I believe that fixing
issue 1 involves changing the return convention of do_memlimits -- not
returning a specialized integer vector, but a more general numeric; I
wasn't confident to do that.