[Rd] Compiling R-2.13.1 with MKL in windows 7 64bit

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jul 20 21:35:28 CEST 2011

On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 20/07/2011 10:40 AM, WADA Kazuya wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>  I don't know how to complie R-2.13.1 with MKL in windows 7 64bit.
>>
>>  I can compile normal R in windows using Rtools under R-admin.html description.
>>  but, this way doesn't use ./configure file.(use MkRules.local file as
>> setting.).
>>  In 'R-admin.html' description, use ./configure --with-blas="$MKL" in
>>  which case with MKL compile.
>>  But, There is no description when I use MkRules.local setting file.
>>  So, I don't understand what I could describe in MkRules.local file in
>>  case of compile R-2.13.1 with MKL in windows.
>>
>>  Does anyone know how to complie R with MKL in windows?
>

> The Windows make files assume you're using MinGW.  If you're not using that compiler, you're on your own.

I think the questions was about MKL BLAS with MinGW.

WADA, see Windows FAQ 8.2 - in general, you don't need to compile R against a particular BLAS - you just use shared BLAS and put your favorite BLAS implementation (like MKL) instead of Rblas.dll. The instructions you quote are not for you - they are for unix. I did not use MKL on Windows myself (my tests on OSX indicated that it's slower than ATALS and thus not worth the hassle), so you'll have to try it for yourself.

Cheers,
Simon