[Rd] testing a Windows custom installer

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 20 16:29:15 CEST 2011

Dear R-devel list members,

For several years, I've created a custom R installer for my students who use
Windows. When I test the installer on my own Windows machines, selections in
the installation dialogs reflect my previous choices, which I suppose are
saved in the Windows registry.

I'd like to be able to see what a student who has never installed R before
will see, to verify that an installation that takes all defaults in the
custom installer produces the desired result. In the past, I've dealt with
this problem by finding a Windows machine on which R has never been
installed, but that's inconvenient (and, as R proliferates will, I hope,
become impossible!). Is there a better approach?

Thanks,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster