[Rd] Creating package Vignette

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 14 18:32:41 CEST 2011

It depends what you mean by 'vignette': the R docs have been unclear
(but R >= 2.13.0 are more consistent).  In most cases a 'vignette' is
an Sweave document, the vignette source being the .Rnw file, and the
vignette PDF the processed .pdf file.

At present vignette() means Sweave documents, as only they have
metadata like titles.  This is planned to be changed soon.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Nipesh Bajaj wrote:

> Hi all, I was trying to create some vignette files for my newly
> developed package, however wondering whether there could be any
> simpler way to do so. In writing R extension it is advised to go
> through Sweave route, however I have already got a big pdf file and
> want to use this as package vignette.
>
> So far I have manually created the inst/doc folder in the main package
> skeleton, and put that file into this, which is not working by calling
> "vignette(file_name)" after I build  and load the package. I am

file_name is not an argument to vignette(): it is 'topic'.  And topics
are normally file basenames (without any extension), not file names.

> getting following error without opening that pdf file: "vignette
> 'file_name' *not* found"
>
> So I like to know, is there any way to use any arbitrary pdf file as
> vignette?

By definition, no.