[Rd] Recent and upcoming changes to R-devel

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Jul 7 23:53:27 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 11-07-04 05:08 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> There was an R-core meeting the week before last, and various planned
> changes will appear in R-devel over the next few weeks.
>
> These are changes planned for R 2.14.0 scheduled for Oct 31. As we are
> sick of people referring to R-devel as '2.14' or '2.14.0', that version
> number will not be used until we reach 2.14.0 alpha.

Now with R-devel r56301:

   > R.version.string
   [1] "R Under development (unstable) (2011-07-06 r56301)"

But:

   > R.Version()[c("major", "minor")]
   $major
   [1] "2"

   $minor
   [1] "14.0"

   > R.version[c("major", "minor")]
       _
   major 2
   minor 14.0

Not sure what's the benefit...

> You will be able to
> have a package depend on an svn version number when referring to R-devel
> rather than using R (>= 2.14.0).

Isn't it that R 2.13 patched and R devel share the same svn version
numbers? So using something like R (>= r56301) doesn't actually mean
anything.

Cheers,
H.

--