[Rd] Suggestions for R-devel / R-help digest format

Thu Jul 7 18:59:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Saravanan
<saravanan.thirumuruganathan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am passive reader of both R-devel and R-help mailing lists. I am sending
> the following comments to r-devel as it seemed more suitable. I am aware
> that this list uses GNU mailman for the list management. I have my options
> set that it sends a email digest. One thing I find is that the digest
> consists of emails that ordered temporarlly. For eg lets say there are two
> threads t1 and t2 and the emails arrive as e1 of t1, e2 of t2, e3 of t3  .
> The digest lists them as e1,e2 and then e3. Is it possible to somehow
> configure it as T1 : e1,e3 and then T2 : e2 ?
>
> This is the digest format that google groups uses which is incredibly
> helpful as you can read all the messages in a thread. Additionally, it also
> helpfully includes a header that lists all the threads in digest so that you
> can jump to the one you are interested in. I checked the mailman options but
> could not find any.
>
> Does anyone else have the same issue? It is not a big issue in R-devel but
> R-help is a much more high traffic mailing list. I am interested in hearing
> how you read/filter your digest mails in either R-help or other high volume
> mailing lists.

I solve this "issue" by having set up 1 mailing-list only gmail
account I use for, well, all of mailing lists. I  configure each
mailing list to send me all emails to this address as they come (not
as digest) and setup filters in gmail to tag each email for each group
with an appropriate group label, eg. all R emails get an "R" label,
bioconductor gets a "bioconductor" label, etc.

This way, I can check each mailing list with the frequency I desire
and my "normal" email boxes don't get flooded. gmail then takes care
of the threading as you'd expect for each mailing list ...

Maybe you'd find that setup helpful.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou