[Rd] [datatable-help] speeding up perception

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 6 16:08:11 CEST 2011

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Interesting, and I stand corrected:
>
>> x = data.frame(a=1:n,b=1:n)
>> .Internal(inspect(x))
> @103511c00 19 VECSXP g0c2 [OBJ,NAM(2),ATT] (len=2, tl=0)
>  @102c7b000 13 INTSXP g0c7 [] (len=100000, tl=0) 1,2,3,4,5,...
>  @102af3000 13 INTSXP g0c7 [] (len=100000, tl=0) 1,2,3,4,5,...
>
>> x[1,1]=42L
>> .Internal(inspect(x))
> @10349c720 19 VECSXP g0c2 [OBJ,NAM(2),ATT] (len=2, tl=0)
>  @102c19000 13 INTSXP g0c7 [] (len=100000, tl=0) 42,2,3,4,5,...
>  @102b55000 13 INTSXP g0c7 [] (len=100000, tl=0) 1,2,3,4,5,...
>
>> x[[1]][1]=42L
>> .Internal(inspect(x))
> @103511a78 19 VECSXP g1c2 [OBJ,MARK,NAM(2),ATT] (len=2, tl=0)
>  @102e65000 13 INTSXP g0c7 [] (len=100000, tl=0) 42,2,3,4,5,...
>  @101f14000 13 INTSXP g1c7 [MARK] (len=100000, tl=0) 1,2,3,4,5,...
>
>> x[[1]][1]=42L
>> .Internal(inspect(x))
> @10349c800 19 VECSXP g0c2 [OBJ,NAM(2),ATT] (len=2, tl=0)
>  @102a2f000 13 INTSXP g0c7 [] (len=100000, tl=0) 42,2,3,4,5,...
>  @102ec7000 13 INTSXP g0c7 [] (len=100000, tl=0) 1,2,3,4,5,...
>

> I have R to release ;) so I won't be looking into this right now, but it's something worth investigating ... Since all the inner contents have NAMED=0 I would not expect any duplication to be needed, but apparently becomes so is at some point ...

The internals assume in various places that deep copies are made (one
of the reasons NAMED setings are not propagated to sub-sturcture).
The main issues are avoiding cycles and that there is no easy way to
check for sharing.  There may be some circumstances in which a shallow
copy would be OK but making sure it would be in all cases is probably
more trouble than it is worth at this point. (I've tried this in the
past in a few cases and always had to back off.)

Best,

luke

> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> On Jul 6, 2011, at 4:36 AM, Matthew Dowle wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 21:11 -0400, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>> No subassignment function satisfies that condition, because you can always call them directly. However, that doesn't stop the default method from making that assumption, so I'm not sure it's an issue.
>>>
>>> David, Just to clarify - the data frame content is not copied, we are talking about the vector holding columns.
>>
>> If it is just the vector holding the columns that is copied (and not the
>> columns themselves), why does n make a difference in this test (on R
>> 2.13.0)?
>>
>>> n = 1000
>>> x = data.frame(a=1:n,b=1:n)
>>> system.time(for (i in 1:1000) x[1,1] <- 42L)
>>   user  system elapsed
>>  0.628   0.000   0.628
>>> n = 100000
>>> x = data.frame(a=1:n,b=1:n)      # still 2 columns, but longer columns
>>> system.time(for (i in 1:1000) x[1,1] <- 42L)
>>   user  system elapsed
>> 20.145   1.232  21.455
>>>

>> With $<- :
>>
>>> n = 1000
>>> x = data.frame(a=1:n,b=1:n)
>>> system.time(for (i in 1:1000) x$a[1] <- 42L)
>>   user  system elapsed
>>  0.304   0.000   0.307
>>> n = 100000
>>> x = data.frame(a=1:n,b=1:n)
>>> system.time(for (i in 1:1000) x$a[1] <- 42L)
>>   user  system elapsed
>> 37.586   0.388  38.161
>>>

>> If it's because the 1st column needs to be copied (only) because that's
>> the one being assigned to (in this test), that magnitude of slow down
>> doesn't seem consistent with the time of a vector copy of the 1st
>> column :
>>
>>> n=100000
>>> v = 1:n
>>> system.time(for (i in 1:1000) v[1] <- 42L)
>>   user  system elapsed
>>  0.016   0.000   0.017
>>> system.time(for (i in 1:1000) {v2=v;v2[1] <- 42L})
>>   user  system elapsed
>>  1.816   1.076   2.900
>>
>> Finally, increasing the number of columns, again only the 1st is
>> assigned to :
>>
>>> n=100000
>>> x = data.frame(rep(list(1:n),100))