[Rd] RPostgreSQL 0.1.7 for Windows 64 causes R.2.12.1 Win64 crash

Xiaobo Gu guxiaobo1982 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 10:07:05 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>

>> On 16 January 2011 at 23:00, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
>> | Is it because of compiler campsites between R and PostgreSQL, R is
>> | compiled by GCC, while PostgreSQL from Enterprise DB is compiled by
>> | Microsoft Visual C ++.
>>
>> So the usual recommendation is to build the matching library (here libpq)
>> with the same compiler, or get the commercial support you are paying for
>> do it for you.
>>
>> For what it is worth, I deal with one vendor at work where I made that
>> requirement and they had no issue complying / helping me with a MinGW /
>> Rtools-compatible library.  One of several reasons I like working with
>> that
>> vendor.
>
> And also for what it is worth, RPostgreSQL works for me on x64 Windows 7
> compiled with the Rtools compilers and linked against the initial PostgreSQL
> 9.0 Windows x64 distribution (I've not tried the one you mentioned).

PostgreSQL 9.0.2 source code with a Win64 patch now can be built using
MinGW64 1.0 (GCC 4.5.2), and the RPostgreSQL package works well now
against the corresponding libpq.dll libraries.

By the way, I found MinGW64 with MSYS is much more convenient.

Xiaobo Gu