[Rd] use of depends, suggests, etc

Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com
Thu Jan 27 23:31:32 CET 2011

But suppose I want to write something like: "this package is 10 million
times better than my other package [Foo] because that one will eat your
children" - or "in contrast to the package [Bar], this package is for
continuous data, while that one is for discrete data, so they don't
interoperate".

It wouldn't make sense to Depend or Suggest or Import the [Foo] or [Bar]
package, but if I didn't, the doc-building process will (apparently - I
haven't tried it myself) warn about the link being broken.

I can think of several different ways to address this if there isn't an
existing way (e.g. create a generic SeeAlso dependency field; use a
different syntax for citing packages that aren't dependencies of one sort
or another, etc.), but obviously they'd need the blessing of the people
maintaining the tools & specs.

--
Ken Williams
Senior Research Scientist