[Rd] RPostgreSQL 0.1.7 for Windows 64 causes R.2.12.1 Win64 crash

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 17 18:22:01 CET 2011

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 16 January 2011 at 23:00, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
> | Is it because of compiler campsites between R and PostgreSQL, R is
> | compiled by GCC, while PostgreSQL from Enterprise DB is compiled by
> | Microsoft Visual C ++.
>
> So the usual recommendation is to build the matching library (here libpq)
> with the same compiler, or get the commercial support you are paying for to
> do it for you.
>
> For what it is worth, I deal with one vendor at work where I made that
> requirement and they had no issue complying / helping me with a MinGW /
> Rtools-compatible library.  One of several reasons I like working with that
> vendor.

And also for what it is worth, RPostgreSQL works for me on x64 Windows
7 compiled with the Rtools compilers and linked against the initial
PostgreSQL 9.0 Windows x64 distribution (I've not tried the one you
mentioned).

Where C (and not C++) is involved it should be possible to mix DLLs
compiled by MinGW-w64 and MSVC, and this has been done extensively
(after all a lot of Windows' own DLLs are compiled with MSVC, as are
the Tcl/Tk binaries which are distributed with R).