[Rd] as.environment.list provides inconsistent results under torture

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jan 12 02:45:24 CET 2011

On Jan 11, 2011, at 6:55 PM, <luke-tierney at uiowa.edu> <luke-tierney at uiowa.edu> wrote:

> No. Lots of internal functions expect their callers to protect their arguments, for efficiency reasons. eval is called very often and almost always with argument that are protected because they are in the evaluation engine, so it would be wasteful and potentially very costly if eval protected its arguments every time it is called. (I don't tknow what the cost would be to do so in the current implementation but it could be prohibitive if we moved to some different approaches, so for now we whould continue to expect callers of eval to make sure the argumetns are protected.)

Fair enough. It would be nice if this was explicitly documented since eval() is part of the API and I see several packages on CRAN using eval(LCONS(..),..) and eval(listX(...),...) - and I don't blame them (partly because one of them is mine ;)). Unfortunately all the examples in R-ext use implicitly protected arguments (as function arguments or parts of larger already protected constructs) so it's not obvious from that, either.

Thanks,
Simon