[Rd] steps for problems compiling a package

egc cooch17 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 7 16:52:58 CET 2011

> 1) For a source package, download it and unpack the tarball.
>
> 2) Read the instructions: you missed the README file, which starts
>
>   The rjags package is an interface to the JAGS library.  In order to
>   build a binary package, or install from source, you must have a
>   matching installation of the JAGS library.

JAGS was/is already installed and functioning on the machine, so that
wasn't the source of the problem.

> You might also be unaware of
> http://www-fis.iarc.fr/~martyn/software/jags/
>
> 3) If you run
>
> R CMD INSTALL rjags
>
> then config.log will be in the rjags directory.  Which is one reason
> to download and unpack the tarball: it will be in a temporary
> directory if run from install.packages() or INSTALL on the tarball.

Thanks - will give that a try. Doing the direct install from CRAN led to
the problems in the OP.

> 4) As for where to ask: see the posting guide!

I did, but often there is a substantial grey area defining some overlap
between various lists. Some of my 'R friends' managed to make completely
different recommendations as to which list was appropriate for this (and
similar) question.