[Rd] steps for problems compiling a package

egc cooch17 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 6 22:27:35 CET 2011

Recently installed 2.12.1 on my CentOS 5.5 box. Install of R went
without incident, and packages downloaded and compiled fine. With one
exception -- my interest is somewhat in the problems with this
particular package, but more in terms of 'what to do if/when a package'
doesn't compile properly.

The offending package (in this instance) is rjags. When I try to install
it using

install.packages("rjags",lib="/usr/local/lib64/R/library")

I get the following comiplation messages:

* installing *source* package "rjags™ ...
checking for prefix by checking for jags... /usr/bin/jags
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking Console.h usability... no
checking Console.h presence... no
checking for Console.h... no

configure: error: in `/tmp/Rtmpb64Khr/R.INSTALL6524e7b4/rjags':
configure: error: "Problem with header file /usr/include/JAGS/Console.h "
See `config.log' for more details.
ERROR: configuration failed for package "rjags™
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib64/R/library/rjags™

The downloaded packages are in
˜/tmp/RtmpwAo4Qp/downloaded_packages™
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning message:
In install.packages("rjags", lib = "/usr/local/lib64/R/library") :
installation of package 'rjags' had non-zero exit status

So, my questions:

1. the error messages suggest looking at config.log for details. Will do
-- if someone will tell me where to find config.log?

2. in cases (such as this) where an individual package throws errors on
compilation, what is the recommended ("officially sanctified") approach
to dealing with -- post question to r-devel, or to the package maintainer?

3. in this particular instance, the problem seems to be related to a
header in /usr/include/JAGS No doubt this is because (in fact)
/usr/includes/JAGS doesn't exist. Which I suppose brings me back to
question (2).

Thanks in advance...