[Rd] Small enhancement for CMD check

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 17:57:51 CET 2011

Unfortunately it would need a major rewrite, and either piping output
through a pager (surely the standard Unix way to handle this) or
redirecting to a file is the simplest way to do this.

R CMD check calls a process to run .runPackageTestsR, which calls
further processes to run each test and diff the results.  We could
simply capture stdout/stderr of .runPackageTestsR, but then one would
have to wait until all the tests had run before seeing any output,
which may mean waiting hours -- that was decided to be too
undesirable.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Terry Therneau wrote:

> It would be nice if the 00check.log file also included this part of the
> output:
>  Running ‘bladder.R’
>  Comparing ‘bladder.Rout’ to ‘bladder.Rout.save’ ... OK
>  Running ‘book1.R’
>  Comparing ‘book1.Rout’ to ‘book1.Rout.save’ ... OK
>  Running ‘book2.R’
>  Comparing ‘book2.Rout’ to ‘book2.Rout.save’ ... OK
>
> etc.
>
>  The survival package has enough test scripts that it exceeds my
> terminal's scroll bar; I have to either watch closely or run
> R CMD check survival >& mylog

The most prolix are
  survival portfolio    matlab  kappalab  spatstat
        68        36        32        30        28
        BB    HSAUR2    fields     pcalg     aster
        26        22        22        22        21

The remedy seems to be to group the tests into larger units.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk