[Rd] Reference classes and ".requireCachedGenerics"

Jon Clayden jon.clayden at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 18:45:10 CET 2011

Dear all,

If I load a package which creates reference classes whilst another
such package is also loaded, I get a warning about masking of the
".requireCachedGenerics" variable. (FWIW, both packages are
lazy-loaded.) Googling this variable name turned up only one previous
discussion, which didn't immediately help, except to suggest that it
may be related to my defining an S3 method for one or more of the
classes. It also pointed me at bits of the R source, but it wasn't
obvious to me from that, what this variable is for.

Aside from being a nuisance, I wonder if this is indicative of a
problem on R's side or on mine, so I'd be glad for any clarification.

This is R 2.12.1 on Mac OS X.6.6, though it still happens with the new
2.12.2 beta. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Jon