[Rd] using rasterImage within image

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 10 07:31:04 CET 2011

Dear all,

Back when grid.raster() was introduced, it was suggested that perhaps
grid.rect() could use grid.raster() in case of even spacing. The
response at the time was that it would be best to keep the two
functions separate at a lower level, that is grid.rect() and
grid.raster(), but perhaps a new function grid.image() could be
proposed at a higher level with the two possible backends. If this is
done in grid graphics, perhaps the same convention could be used for
base graphics: image() would be high level with the backend option,
and a new function ("tiles()", perhaps?) would implement the current
behavior of image().

In any case, it would be nice to have a unified scheme to switch
between "tiles" and raster; currently lattice (panl.levelplot.raster)
and a few other packages all do it separately.

Best wishes,

baptiste