[Rd] Reading a specific file during "R CMD check"?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sat Feb 5 10:38:32 CET 2011

       Thanks very much to Hadley and Prof. Ripley for their replies --
and my apologies to the list for failing to check my facts before I posted:

       Prof. Ripley's reply was correct:  system.file('rawdata',
package='testPackage') in a help page in package 'tstPackage' with
subdirectory 'inst/rawdata' returned
"~/Rpkgs/tstPackage.Rcheck/tstPackage/rawdata".

       I was once again misled by something I knew that wasn't so.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

On 2/5/2011 12:04 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>
>> Hi Spencer,
>>
>> I think one of the early phases of R CMD check is R CMD install - it
>> installs the package into a special location so that it doesn't
>> override existing installed packages, but still allows function to
>> work exactly as if they were in an installed package.
>
> There first part may or may not be true (it is not for some of the
> ways 'check' is used on the check farm: consider the --install
> argument, which is not described in --help), but in every case it will
> be true that the copy of the package under check is installed in the
> library at .libPaths()[1], and that installed package is used by
> 'check' unless the user's code does really odd things (like manipulate
> .libPaths()).
>

>> Hadley
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Spencer Graves
>> <spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com> wrote:
>>> Hello, All:
>>>

>>>      How can I obtain the location of an example data file in a package
>>> during "R CMD check"?
>>>

>>>      I want to include sample raw data files in a package and have
>>> them read
>>> by a function in the package.  It occurs to me to put such a file in
>>> "\inst\rawdata" and have examples find the data using something like
>>> "system.file('rawdata', package='MyPackage')". However, this will
>>> only work
>>> if the desired data are already in a version of 'MyPackage' that is
>>> already
>>> installed.  If I change the data, this will return the old data, not
>>> the