[Rd] dependencies on system packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Feb 4 19:24:16 CET 2011

Simon,

On 4 February 2011 at 10:01, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| Claudia,
|
| thanks for you comments .
|
| On Feb 4, 2011, at 3:18 AM, Claudia Beleites wrote:
|
| > Dear all,
| >
| > From the writing extensions manual:
| > "Other dependencies (external to the R system) should be listed in the ‘SystemRequirements’ field, possibly amplified in a separate README file."
| >
| > I guess one problem is the user may not realize that the -dev version is needed, and just sees libxml2 installed but the R package installation stopping with the respective error.
| >

| I'd argue that if a user attempts to install a package from sources instead
| of using the distribution binaries, he should know what he's doing as there
| is much more involved (proper tools, usually a different library location
| etc.). And anyone who knows what he's doing also knows that -dev packages
| are needed (at the latest when the installation fails you remember ;)). If
| he doesn't then it should give him a clue that he may want to use something
| else (and especially Linux users should know better ;)).
|
| Clearly, it doesn't prevent users from doing stupid things and I completely
| agree with you that the README should have the instructions as far as the
| developer knows. And as a package developer you'll learn soon enough when
| people start complaining ;).

I respectfully disagree.

Based on a number of years of supporting users on Linux where people install
frequently from source, I can assure you that a rather large number of people
fails.  Not everybody is fluent with compilers, knows about libraries and
their interdependencies, or can even read configure error messages. We all
see the r-help messages (or the traffic on the SIG lists).

People want to use the wealth of software that is CRAN, and we should help
them.  I have also been involved in by now two attempts to overcome this in
an automated fashion via cran2deb.  We had that working somewhat reliably
until parts of the infrastructure misteriously self-destructed (a large
sqlite table) right when I visited Vienna, and are now in a rewrite which may
be never ending (for lack of resources).  There was a lot of interest for it
when it worked, and there is ongoing interest right now (as a few guys from
across Europe just met last weekend to try to use for BioC builds).

There were also folks from other distros who tried something similar. What
Jeroen suggested is along those lines with the needed meta-data. Whether we
make it per-package (as per Jeroen's idea) or 'per-repo-distro-pair' (which
is what cran2deb does) is a detail.

We need to address this: With 2600+ packages and continued growth, manually
wading through README is not good enough.  We should do better.  Resources
(time, money, servers, ...) would help.  Maybe one day someone with more time
can fold this into a proper sub-project of a larger grant application.  It
would be worth, and I would try to help, time permitting.

Cheers, Dirk