[Rd] Using MathJax in R's help system

Gong-Yi Liao gong-yi.liao at uconn.edu
Wed Feb 2 17:33:49 CET 2011

Thank you for comments,

   1.   About MathJax's sheer size:

        I think we can consider the following two cases:

        A.  The user starts nanohttpd on his/her own PC and read the
            help files in html
            (i.e.    > options(help_type="html", browser="xdg_open")
                     > ?svd  )
              For this case, I think that  the user can just  install a
              MathJax distribution on his/her own PC (or workstation)
              and let the local nanohttpd send the MathJax scripts,
              fonts and image files to user's browser.  Since all the
              MathJax files are transmitted locally (i.e. at the same
              IP, on the same machine), I think 130 MB  is not a big
              issue in this case.

        B.  The user reads the R help html pages,  which are hosted by
            a third party httpd server

             For this case, I think a CDN (Content Delivery Network)
             hosting server is needed. MathJax's 130 MB size can be a
             critical issue in this case.  As far as I know, there's
             a site ( mathjax.connectmv.com ) providing such service,
             but I can't imagine if all the R users around the world
             request resources from this site 24-7, the site must
             be DoSed.

    2. About the helpr package:

        I install the helpr package from CRAN, and, maybe due to my
        problem,  the manual of this package is quite confusing to me.
        I run the command helpr and my browser shows me the following
        content:

        ERROR: no history available to save

        1: do.call(function (...)
        {
           page_info <- helpr_home()
           page_info$html <- "/index.html"
           render_brew("index", page_info, path = path)
        }, list())
        2: function (...)
                  {
                          page_info <- helpr_home()
                          page_info$html <- "/index.html"
                          render_brew("index", page_info, path = path)
                  }()
                  3: helpr_home()
                  4: ten_functions()
                  5: get_function_history()
                  6: savehistory(file1)

        And I can't find any CRAN packages with 'Solr' keyword, any
        comments?

     Thank you!

--
Gong-Yi Liao