[Rd] CRAN link broken -- Swiss "backup"

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 31 15:49:14 CET 2011

    >> This is not the CRAN webmaster's address[*], and the
    >> problem has been reported several times already to the
    >> proper places.  No one reading this list apart from the
    >> handful with CRAN administrator rights can do anything
    >> about this.

    >> The package repository is still there, and the check
    >> information is still up (via
    >> http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_summary.html).
    >> The only thing that appears to be missing is the
    >> web-formatted summary information.  That is secondary
    >> information, and it looks like the web/packages area
    >> needs to be regenerated.

    >> My memory is that some of the mirrors do not auto-delete,
    >> and so will remain populated.  I believe
    >> http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/web/packages/ to be one of those
    >> and it looks intact.

    > Well, yes..  Actually, my mirroring script does
    > auto-deletion but "slowly": never more than a few hundred
    > files at a time (apart from the 'Recommended/'
    > subdirectories: There, it is important to delete, i.e.,
    > important to not have more than one version of a
    > recommended package .. for our tools/rsync-recommended
    > script )

In the mean time, I have
 - changed my mirror script to *NOT* delete anything for now
 - rsync'ed (-u: do not overwrite newer)
   a backup of web/packages/ from  2011-12-29 12:20:29

This has recovered 76 Mega bytes already..
Now indeed,  the CH mirror should contain a full web/packages/
again,
i.e. -->  http://cran.CH.r-project.org/web/packages/
which is  http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/web/packages/

should again be "fully loaded".