[Rd] Debugging namespace problems

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Fri Dec 23 20:50:00 CET 2011

Hi all,

I frequently find that I've failed to export something in my NAMESPACE
and hence my package doesn't work when it's imported into another
package. Does anyone have suggestion for debugging this type of
problem?  R CMD check passes without any ns related errors on both the
importee and the importer.

I've attached a reproducible example - if you install the development
version of ggplot2 (e.g. with devtools::install_github("ggplot2") the
attached package fails R CMD check with:

> ### ** Examples
>
> plot(my_plot())
Error in structure(list(data = data, layers = list(), scales = Scales$new(),  :
  attempt to apply non-function
Calls: plot ... my_plot -> ggplot -> ggplot.data.frame -> structure
Execution halted
Error: Command failed (1)

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/