[Rd] S4 NAMESPACE method imports and exports do not include (promoted?) generics

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 22 19:01:16 CET 2011

On 12/18/2011 11:04 AM, John Chambers wrote:

> On 12/17/11 6:02 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
>> I guess what it boils down to is whether it makes sense for PkgB to have
>> exportMethods(unique) when PkgB does not export(unique) or have PkgA in
>> Depends. And whether it makes sense for PkgC to have
>> importMethodsFrom(PkgB, unique) without importFrom(PkgA, unique). If it
>> is not feasible/sensible to support implicit passing of generics up the
>> dependency stack, then R should probably emit some sort of warning/error
>> when methods are exported or imported without the corresponding generic.
>>
>> The fact that a generic is being created for an implicit generic defined
>> in 'base' is not really the issue here.
>
> On the contrary, it's why we need to do some thinking about what we want.
>
> Try replacing "unique" with "sum" throughout Martin's example, adjusting
> the method definition appropriately. No problems arise, because sum() is
> a primitive. Exporting and importing methods works as implied by the
> extensions manual, but via the implicit generic for sum().
>
> The essential point is that the methods being imported are "for" the
> generic implied by the function in package "base". PkgA is the
> irrelevant aspect if the methods come from PkgB and the implied generic
> comes from "base". The problem is that there is no "flag" for
> non-primitive functions that says "Methods have been defined for this
> function (base::unique in this case), so some calls should carry out
> method dispatch."
>
> The extensions manual stated that exportMethods() would "export the
> generic". We could make that true or make it unnecessary, by having
> importMethods() look for a generic in the referenced package and infer
> the implicit generic (maybe with a message). Otherwise, we're adding
> inconsistent requirements for primitives vs true functions in the base
> package.

One advantage of the exportMethods solution is that a user of PkgB gets
access to the unique generic without having all of PkgA on the search
path; it would be unfortunate if the exported generic also carried with
it the burden of documenting the generic (again).

Even with the insights from this thread, I find myself spending a very
long time working out the appropriate NAMESPACE declarations for my
current projects.

Martin