[Rd] How to safely using OpenMP pragma inside a .C() function?

Alireza Mahani alireza.s.mahani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:48:52 CEST 2011

I am trying to parallelize part of a C function that is called from R (via
.C) using OpenMP's "parallel for" pragma. I get mixed results: some runs
finish with no problem, but some lead to R crashing after issuing a long
error message involving memory violations.

I found this post, which describes how a .Call() function can be made to
avoid crashing R by raising the stack limit:

http://www.r-bloggers.com/using-openmp-ized-c-code-with-r/

However, trying this in my .C function doesn't help things. Any
suggestions/tips on whether I can safely use OpenMP inside a .C function,
and if yes how?

Thank you,
Alireza Mahani