[Rd] Implementing a "plugin" paradigm with R methods

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Aug 24 06:37:08 CEST 2011

On 08/23/2011 03:02 PM, Janko Thyson wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was wondering how to best implement some sort of a "plugin" paradigm
> using R methods and the dispatcher:
> Say we have a function/method ('foo') that does something useful, but
> that should be open for extension in ONE specific area by OTHERS using
> my package. Of course they could go ahead and write a whole new 'foo'

One possibility is to write class / method pairs. The classes extend
'Plugin', and the methods are on generic 'plug', with the infrastructure

   ## Approach 1: class / method pairs
   setClass("Plugin")

   setClass("DefaultPlugin", contains="Plugin")

   DefaultPlugin <- function() new("DefaultPlugin")

   setGeneric("plug",
              function(plugin, src) standardGeneric("plug"),
              signature="plugin",
              valueClass="character")

   setMethod(plug, "Plugin", function(plugin, src) {
       src
   })

   foo <- function(src, plugin=DefaultPlugin()) {
       plug(plugin, src)
   }

This is extended by writing class / method pairs

   setClass("Punct", contains="Plugin")

   Punct <- function() new("Punct")

   setMethod(plug, "Punct", function(plugin, src) {
       gsub("[[:punct:]]", "", src)
   })

   setClass("Digit", contains="Plugin")

   Digit <- function() new("Digit")

   setMethod(plug, "Digit", function(plugin, src) {
       gsub("[[:digit:]]", "", src)
   })

The classes could have slots with state, accessible within the method.
An easier-on-the-user approach might have the Plugin class contain or
have slots of class "function". The user would only be obliged to
provide an appropriate function.

   ## Approach 2:
   setClass("Plugin", prototype=prototype(function(src) {
       src
   }), contains="function")

   Plugin <- function() new("Plugin")

   setGeneric("foo",
              function(src, plugin) standardGeneric("foo"))

   setMethod(foo, c("character", "missing"),
             function(src, plugin) foo(src, Plugin()))

   setMethod(foo, c("character", "Plugin"),
             function(src, plugin) plugin(src))

   ## 'Developer' classes
   setClass("Punct", prototype=prototype(function(src) {
       gsub("[[:punct:]]", "", src)
   }), contains="Plugin")

   Punct <- function() new("Punct")

   setClass("Digit", prototype=prototype(function(src) {
       gsub("[[:digit:]]", "", src)
   }), contains="Plugin")

   Digit <- function() new("Digit")

   ## General-purpose 'user' class
   setClass("User", contains="Plugin")

   User <- function(fun) new("User", fun)

This could have syntax checking in the validity method to catch some
mistakes early. In the S3 world, this is the approach taken by glm for
its 'family' argument, for instance str(gaussian().

Martin