[Rd] R CMD build processes inst/doc/Makefile only if there are vignette files?

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Sat Apr 30 00:54:09 CEST 2011

On 11-03-30 01:55 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> What R CMD build (and check) does is to call tools::buildVignettes.
> That has been true for a while, and buildVignettes() returns if no
> vignettes are found. The docs are out-of-date.
>
> My view is that you are misusing inst/doc: it is intended *only* for
> files which are going to be installed and hence report.tex should not
> really be there. So you should be doing this in another source directory
> and copying report.pdf to inst/doc. Use configure to arrange this.
>
> Shortly vignettes to be built will be moved out of inst/doc.

Could you please elaborate on this? I just found this in the NEWS for
R 2.14.0:

   o The preferred location for vignette sources is now the directory
     ‘vignettes’ and not ‘inst/doc’: R CMD build will now re-build
     vignettes in ‘vignettes’ and copy the ‘.Rnw’ (etc) files and
     the corresponding PDFs to ‘inst/doc’.

Sounds like an important move. What are the long term plans: keep
both inst/doc/ and vignettes/ as places for vignettes to be built?
Or drop inst/doc/ at some point?

Thanks!
H.

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in Section 'Writing package vignettes' of 'Writing R Extensions' it says:
>>
>> "Whenever a Makefile is found, then R CMD build will try to run make
>> after the Sweave runs, so PDF manuals can be created from arbitrary
>> source formats (plain LaTeX files, ...). [...] Note that the make step
>> is executed even if there are no files in Sweave format, [...]".
>>
>> In my package, inst/doc/ file contains two files: Makefile, and
>> report.tex. However, when running 'Rcmd build' on Windows with R
>> v2.13.0 alpha (2011-03-27 r55091) I can only get 'make' to run
>> (process inst/doc/Makefile) if I add a inst/doc/dummy.Rnw file,
>> otherwise nothing happens. My Makefile contains:
>>
>> all: pdf
>>
>> pdf: report.tex
>> texi2dvi --pdf report.tex
>>
>> clean:
>> rm dummy.Rnw dummy.tex
>> rm *.aux *.log *.toc
>>
>> Is it really necessary to add dummy.Rnw? Am I missing something?
>>
>> /Henrik
>>
>>> sessionInfo()
>> R version 2.13.0 alpha (2011-03-27 r55091)
>> Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
>> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
>> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
>> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
>> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

>> [1] tools_2.13.0

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences