[Rd] R CMD Sweave versus Sweave() on Windows

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 15:30:56 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Pfaff, Bernhard Dr.
<Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com> wrote:
> Dear list subscriber,
>
> I am quite puzzled by the behaviour of processing Sweave files within an R session, i.e.
> Sweave("foo.Rnw") versus R CMD Sweave foo.Rnw
>
> In the former the environmental variable 'SWEAVE_STYLEPATH_DEFAULT = TRUE' is obeyed (this is set in etc/Renviron.site as well as under the users home directory in .Renviron). That is the hard-coded path to Sweave.sty is included in the resultant tex-file, whereas if the Sweave file is processed from cmd.exe as R CMD Sweave foo.Rnw, only \usepackage{Sweave} is included.
>
> Any pointers are much appreciated.
> Best,
> Bernhard
>
> Output of sessionInfo():
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=German_Germany.1252  LC_CTYPE=German_Germany.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=German_Germany.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=German_Germany.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  datasets  grDevices utils     methods   base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] fortunes_1.4-1

SWEAVE_STYLEPATH_DEFAULT is automatically set in Sweave.bat found here
(its part of the batchfiles distribution but does not require any
other batch file in order to run it):

http://batchfiles.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Sweave.bat

This was only just added and has not been tested yet but if anyone
would like to try it just put it anywhere on your Windows PATH (or
current directory) and issue a command like this from the Windows
console:

   Sweave myfile.Rnw

--
Statistics & Software Consulting