[Rd] Sweave support added to rgl package

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:52:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just committed some code to the rgl package on
> https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rgl/ to allow rgl images to be
> inserted into Sweave documents.  (This is not in the CRAN version yet.)  It
> makes use of the custom graphics driver support added by Brian Ripley.
>
> In R-devel (which will become R 2.14.0 next spring in New Zealand, next fall
> in most other places), usage is quite straightforward.  For
> example, code like this in a Sweave document:
>
> <<fig=true, grdevice=rgl.Sweave, pdf=false, stayopen=TRUE>>=
> x <- rnorm(100); y <- rnorm(100); z <- rnorm(100)
> plot3d(x, y, z)
> @
>
> will insert a .png snapshot of the figure.  Because that chunk has
> "stayopen=TRUE", it can be followed by another chunk to add
> to the figure, e.g.
>
> <<fig=true, grdevice=rgl.Sweave, pdf=false>>=
> lines3d(x[1:10], y[1:10], z[1:10], col="red")
> @
>
> All of this is possible in R 2.13.0, but it takes more work:  see the
> ?rgl.Sweave help page.
>
> I will eventually add postscript and PDF output options as well, and perhaps
> some support for the LaTeX movie15 package, but those are not there yet.
>  Comments or bug reports are welcome.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

I inserted your example into testrgl.Rnw under R 2.13.0, with Sweave.snapshot()
at the end of both chunks, but things did not work as expected.

I used:
$ R CMD Sweave testrgl.Rnw
$ pdflatex tesetrgl
(view testrgl.pdf)

When R CMD Sweave is run the graphics is displayed interactively.

There is no graphics in the PDF file, even though both .png files
are read when pdflatex is run.

Thanks,
Dominick