[Rd] Sweave support added to rgl package

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Apr 20 19:28:15 CEST 2011

Duncan Murdoch-2 wrote:

> I have just committed some code to the rgl package on
> https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rgl/ to allow rgl images to be
> inserted into Sweave documents.  (This is not in the CRAN version yet.)
> It makes use of the custom graphics driver support added by Brian Ripley.
>
> In R-devel (which will become R 2.14.0 next spring in New Zealand, next
> fall in most other places), usage is quite straightforward.  For
> example, code like this in a Sweave document:
>
> <<fig=true, grdevice=rgl.Sweave, pdf=false, stayopen=TRUE>>=
> x <- rnorm(100); y <- rnorm(100); z <- rnorm(100)
> plot3d(x, y, z)
> @
>
> will insert a .png snapshot of the figure.  Because that chunk has
> "stayopen=TRUE", it can be followed by another chunk to add
> to the figure, e.g.
>
> <<fig=true, grdevice=rgl.Sweave, pdf=false>>=
> lines3d(x[1:10], y[1:10], z[1:10], col="red")
> @
>
> All of this is possible in R 2.13.0, but it takes more work:  see the
> ?rgl.Sweave help page.
>
> I will eventually add postscript and PDF output options as well, and
> perhaps some support for the LaTeX movie15 package, but those are not
> there yet.  Comments or bug reports are welcome.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

This is great news Duncan!

If you do consider adding support for movie15, the Asymptote graphics
language may be handy:

http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/

Asymptote can embed 3D graphs into LaTeX documents that are fully
zoomable/manipulatable. It also uses LaTeX to typeset the figure text.

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University