[Rd] core Matrix package segfaulted on R CMD check --use-gct

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Fri Apr 8 20:48:49 CEST 2011

Fixed in R-devel by 55385 and R-2-113-branch by 55386.

The problem was a call to install() in the C srouce code without
protecting another value before the install call. This particular
issue was very unlikely to cause a problem outside of a gctorture
context, but in that context with the memory checking enabled by the
strict barrier it will get caught.

Quick notes in case someone else needs to track this sort of thing
down: When gctorture is used in conjuction with the memory checks
enabled by the strict barrier it is very likely that an error will be
detected and signaled very close to where the problem in the C code
actually is, which is why I tried an example using only regexpr when
the error was being signaled there. Once a reproducable example is
found, setting a breakpoint in memory.c:CHK on the line that signals
the error gives a stack trace of the C calls involved, and in this
case the culprit was pretty easy to find at that point.

luke