[Rd] Check for updates under Windows (Was: a reliable way to check the latest version of R on CRAN?)

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sun Sep 19 00:17:26 CEST 2010

Dear R developers,

I asked this question in r-help list but have not got a definite
solution yet, and I think it might be more appropriate to ask
developers or CRAN maintainers directly. Many software packages often
have a menu item like "Check for updates" under the "Help" menu, e.g.
Filezilla and Firefox, and I believe it is also necessary for R (at
least for R GUI under Windows). Note all users really have to update
R, but we should make it clearer to them that new versions are
available. Yes, they can go to R homepage to check by themselves, but
my experience tells me it is rarely the case. Therefore, I wish RGui
could gain a new menu to check for updates of R. Thanks very much!

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>