[Rd] How to connect R to Mysql?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 20:14:55 CEST 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hi, Thomas:
>
>      You use RODBC to connect to MySQL?

Well, I do, and it is faster and more stable than RMySQL on all my
platforms.

However, I have no idea why this is thought to be the appropriate
list.  See R-sig-db !

For Windows, we need to know (see the posting guide) not just the
version of the OS but also the version of R.  If you are running x64
Win 7, you might be running 32- or 64-bit Windows.  Whichever, the the
ODBC driver or MySQL client dll has to be of the same architecture as
R *and not MySQL nor the OS*.  This is covered in detail in the RODBC
manual.  For RMySQL it is quite recent that it has worked under x64
Windows and I am not sure the documentation has yet caught up.

Follow-up to R-sig-db (which requires you to join to post) would be
appropriate, so I am copying this there for future reference.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk