[Rd] Wiki entries on "package development process" and "software repository"

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Sep 9 02:29:45 CEST 2010

        I hereby invite anyone to make or suggest improvements to the
Wikipedia entries on "package development process" and "software
repository".

       Parts of these entries were created by Sundar Dorai-Raj and me:
We believe that the procedures of the R community in these areas provide
positive examples that could be profitably considered for people writing
and sharing work in other languages.  I'm scheduled to speak about this
next Tuesday to the San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the Association
for Computing Machinery (ACM;  http://www.sfbayacm.org/?p=1962), but my
interest in this extend beyond next Tuesday.  I may later send a note to
the "Communications of the ACM" referencing these entries and inviting
further input.

       Your help with this would be greatly appreciated, because I don't
know enough to talk authoritatively about "package development process"
and "software repository" for languages other than R.  If you know other
people who might contribute perspectives for other languages, please
feel free to forward this request to them.

       If you are a Wikipedian, feel free to change the entries
directly.  Otherwise, I'd be pleased to hear your comments, suggested
improvements, etc., via email.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves