[Rd] Is an R sub-session somehow possible?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Wed Sep 8 11:15:30 CEST 2010

Hello,

Di you already look at svSocket (try the version on R-forge that
corrects a couple of bugs recently -will be soon on CRAN, but only after
further testing-)? It uses Tcl that already benefits from the modified
even loop you mention, and it is well-tested since a long time since the
tcltk package is a recommended R package and is widely used.

With svSocket, you can easily do something like calltip, or completion
list calculation while R is processing other commands, say at the
command line, or through other calls to svSocket: it manages multiple
clients simultaneously (or multiple connections from the same client,
say, one for evaluation of R code, and another one to get calltip or
completion list calculation, no matter if R is doing other calculations
or not). If you want to get inspiration, you can inspect how SciViews-K
is implemented (http://www.sciviews.org/SciViews-K).
Best,

Philippe

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (