[Rd] Weird erratic error and illogical error message, could someone explain this?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 13:42:01 CEST 2010

Philippe Grosjean wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's several days I try to track this bug, and even cannot cook a
> reproducible example. Yet, it occurs consistently in a long-running task
> after a variable period of time. Here is an example:

I would look closely at the other software that is running in your long
example.  Does it include C (or other external) code?  Look closely at
that, it might be writing outside it's own allocated memory.  Also check
for correct protection of intermediate results, if you're producing
SEXPs in the external code.  (Running under gctorture might flush out
the bug more quickly if the latter is the problem.)

If you're only running R code, then this looks like a bug in R, but it
might still be worth trying gctorture to make it reproducible.  We won't
be able to fix it if we can't reproduce it.

Duncan Murdoch