[Rd] [R] R-2.12.0 hangs while loading RGtk2 on FreeBSD

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Fri Oct 22 16:18:51 CEST 2010

On 22.10.2010 14:57 (UTC+1), Michael Lawrence wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Rainer Hurling <rhurlin at gwdg.de
> <mailto:rhurlin at gwdg.de>> wrote:
>
>     [moved from R-help]
>
>     On 21.10.2010 18:09 (UTC+1), Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
>         If you do R CMD INSTALL --no-test-load this will skip the part
>         that is
>         hanging and you can try loading in stages (e.g. dyn.load on the
>         RGtk2.so).
>

>     With '--no-test-load' it installs and ends normal. Loading per
>     dyn.load("RGtk2.so") works, just as dyn.load("RGtk2.so",F) and
>     dyn.load("RGtk2.so",,F). Unloading works, too.
>
>     Normal loading over library(RGtk2) within R does not work. R than is
>     hanging.
>
>     It seems the problem is not with the library itself?
>

> It looks like something is happening when initializing GTK+ and the
> event loop. This happens in the function R_gtkInit in Rgtk.c. If you
> could run R -d gdb and break on that function, perhaps you could step
> through until it hangs.

Michael, thank you for answering. As I wrote earlier (on R-help@),
unfortunately I have no experience with debugging (I am not a
programmer). So I would need some more assistence.

Is  there a difference between 'library(RGtk2)' and 'dyn.load(RGtk2)' in
initializing GTK+? I am able to dyn.load, but library does not work.

After starting with 'R -d gdb' is the following right?

   (gdb) break R_gtkInit
   Function "R_gtkInit" not defined.
   Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y
   Breakpoint 1 (R_gtkInit) pending.

When I try to proceed, it gives me the following message

   (gdb) run
   Starting program: /usr/local/lib/R/bin/exec/R
   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libRblas.so" not found,
   required by "R"
   Program exited with code 01.

Obviously there is some wrong with my try?

Thanks again,
Rainer